Whether you’re the type who savors dessert or saves it for a special occasion, you’re probably going to want to try one of the below at some point in your life. These are desserts that inspire poems and songs and second helpings of course.
Let’s get to it…
1. Chocolate Budino at Yanni’s
Sure budino is nothing new, but Yanni’s elevates this popular dessert somehow. Maybe it’s all the heavy cream? Our arteries don’t like to think about it too much. But this sweet treat is so delicious you can barely stand it. “Budino” is Italian for “pudding,” and that’s what this is – but more sublime. Rich, creamy, chocolatey, but not too much so, Yanni’s signature dessert features chocolate mousse, creme fraiche, and strawberries and you must get it STAT.
- Address: 12015 Scripps Highlands Dr., San Diego 92131
- Website: yannisbistro.com
2. Butterscotch Pot De crème, at Wooden Spoon
The only thing that could make Wooden Spoon’s famous dessert better if it were served in a vat instead of a Mason jar. Pretty sure we could eat 15 pounds of this amazing delight. Think butterscotch pot de crème, whiskey Chantilly-infused cream, cocoa nibs, and sea salt ganache. And an almond biscotti. Sweet, salty, sassy. All of it now in our mouths.
- Address: 805 E. Valley Pkwy., Escondido 92025
- Website: woodenspoonsd.com
3. Butterscotch Pudding at Blue Ribbon Artisan Pizzeria
While we’re on the topic of butterscotch, let’s go full throttle. Also let’s add caramel sauce, sea salt, and whipped cream. Because that’s how Blue Ribbon’s butterscotch pudding rolls, and you want to take a ride, we promise. If you should have the desire to make the pudding yourself, the pizzeria generously shares the recipe here.
(We don’t want to prepare the pudding, we just want to eat it – but that’s just us.)
- Address: 897 S. Coast Hwy. 101, Encinitas 92024
- Website: blueribbonpizzeria.com
4. Warm Butter Cake at Vintana Wine + Dine
Speaking of butter, wouldn’t it be great if someone put it in a cake and served it with candied walnuts, brown sugar glaze and vanilla ice cream? We’re pretty sure you’re nodding enthusiastically. In case you’re unconvinced here are a few more words: warm. butter. cake. One diner put it this way,”it tastes like soft shortbread cookie.” We’re in all the way to butter town.
- Address: 1205 Auto Park Way, Escondido 92029
- Website: cohnrestaurants.com/vintana
5. Chocolate Flourless Cake at Urban Plates
Moist (wish we had another word), rich (like, decadent), and gluten-free (finally!), this wonderful dessert comes topped with chocolate ganache, powdered sugar, and seasonal berries. Healthy eaters noshing on Urban Plates’ nutritious fare consistently rave about this dessert – even if it’s technically healthy – so if it makes a fit person stray, it passes our litmus test.
- Address: 12857 El Camino Real, San Diego
- Website: urbanplates.com
6. Coconut Cake at Solace and the Moonlight Lounge
Think of Solace’s popular dessert item as carrot cake coconut-ized. Because such a thing exists and it’s dreamy beyond compare. Order a big slice and shamelessly enjoy gorgeous gobs of cream cheese frosting, rum caramel sauce and sugared macadamia nuts.
7. Goat Cheesecake at Davanti Enoteca
The menu says, “goat cheesecake with Amarena cherries, candied orange peel and toasted pistacios.” We say, “Give us 10. Slices. With extra salted caramel on top.”
- Address: 12955 El Camino Real, Del Mar 92130
- Website: davantienoteca.com/delmar
What – and where – is your favorite North County dessert?