*** Please Note: No outside food or beverages on the winery grounds. Pets are not allowed on the winery grounds. Licensed service dogs only.Description:
Located 25 miles north of downtown San Diego, nestled inside the quiet town of Rancho Bernardo, lies one of the best-kept secrets in the county, and a slice of San Diego history. Winery and Village tucked away in the hills of North County, San Diego. We offer wine tasting, a village of unique shops, beautiful gardens and a little slice of the old country. Family owned for three generations and over 125 years old, the Rizzo family still produces wines at the winery using San Diego grapes.
The winery has transitioned over the years from the early production and growing style established in San Diego by the missionaries to family heritage roots by producing Italian varietals as well as Spanish and French varietals/ Our wines are dry climate style wines well suited for the San Diego Terrior.
General information and interesting facts about Bernardo Winery~
- We grow over 400 olive trees of various varieties for olive oil production including ascolano, mission, manzanilla de sevilla and sevillano.
- 5o hass avocado trees line the north side of the property.
- 2500 grape vines including red and white Concord, Barbera, Zinfandel, Syrah, Petite Sirah, Cabernet Franc, Muscat, Mission, Tokay & Grenache are spread around in the various lots and around the buildings.
- The property is also home to many other fruit trees: Fig, many types of guava, lowquat, various citrus, berries, avocado and our favorite, the nopal cactus.
- We use only well water, grey water recycling from our winery and runoff to irrigate our landscape and crops.
- We implement only organic farming techniques reminiscent of decades ago when the lack of modern technology limited your options as a farmer. No chemical pesticides, chemical herbicides or chemical fertilizers are used on the grapes, avocados or any of the other crops.
- Cafe Merlot and V’s Coffee Shop offer breakfast, lunch and snack items for you to enjoy on the winery grounds
- If you’re planning a social event, please consider one of our unique winery venues, accomodating 8-400 people in rustic old world winery charm like no other and staff that makes you feel like family the moment you enter the grounds.