10+ Winter Break Camps in North County San Diego (2018 Guide)
Just a few short weeks until the holidays hit. If you have kids and work, the upcoming school vacation is either wonderful or stressful, depending on how you roll. To keep the kids entertained, read below for several winter camp options open for business during the holiday break. Meanwhile, happy shopping, prepping, cooking, partying, and wrapping!
Note: Although we listed some standout camp options here, don’t forget to check your local Parks & Recreation centers, like Carlsbad Parks & Recreation, Carmel Valley Community Park & Recreation Center and the San Marcos Center. Although the latest camp details weren’t posted on the rec center sites as of press time, we do know that San Marcos has themed winter break camps. Try calling for the latest info!
Winter Critter Camp - Helen Woodward Animal Center
This beloved animal center in Rancho Santa Fe hosts several winter camp options in December and January. Open for kids in preschool through sixth grade, Winter Critter Camp puts crafts, games and other activities on the agenda in addition to teaching children about animals and their care.
- Where: Helen Woodward Animal Center, 6461 El Apajo Rd., Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067
- Dates: December 18-22; December 26-29; January 2-5
- Time: 9AM-3PM with extended care available
- Cost: From $55-$70/day
- Website: animalcenter.org/programs-services/education/winter-camp
- More Information
San Diego Soccer Camp
Sharpen your kid’s soccer skills with this fun camp focused on the technical aspects of the game like improving dribbling, juggling, and more). Kids ages 4-14 also play games every day and learn from expert coaches.
This drop-in camp lets you take your kids on the days you need without requiring a full week’s tuition. Each day focuses on acting, singing, dancing, and art. Kids are also shown how to do a proper audition and they will also be introduced to basic costume, make-up, and set design techniques.
Jr. Chef Cooking Camp - Artful Chefs
Taught by professional chefs in a commercial kitchen, this three-day camp focuses on French pastry making and is a hands-on, learn-by-doing camp perfect for budding bakers ages 8-15. Camp sessions are limited to 20 students total, so get in on the action early!
- Where: Artful Chefs, Vista, CA
- Dates: December 26 – French pastry tarts; December 27 – Eclairs; December 29 – Buche de Noel cake
- Time: 9AM – 1PM
- Cost: $80 a day; $225 for all three days
- Website: artfulchefs.com/san-diego-kids-cooking-classes/junior-chef-winter-cooking-camp/
Winter Adventure Camp - Boys & Girls Clubs of San Dieguito
Count on the Boys & Girls Club to keep an eye on our kids when we need it. Winter camps are planned at several of the organization’s many locations in North County including Carmel Valley, Encinitas, and Solana Beach. Camps welcome kids of all ages who choose to focus on arts and crafts, sports, recreation, computers and more.
- Where: Carmel Valley, Ann & Douglas Allred Club, 12353 Carmel Park Rd., San Diego, CA 92130; Carmel Valley Polster Branch, 3800-A Mykonos Lane, San Diego, CA 92130; Solana Beach Harper Branch, 533 Lomas Santa Fe Dr., Solana Beach. CA 92075; Encinitas Griset Branch, 1221 Encinitas Blvd., Encinitas, CA 92024
- Dates: December 26-29; January 2-5
- Time: 7:30AM-6PM
- Cost: $140/wk or $40/day
- Website: bgcsandieguito.org
Winter Camp - Boys & Girls Clubs of Carlsbad
Fun activities and field trips to spots like Boomers, Skyzone, and Icetown make these winter camps especially active.
Rock Band Workshop - School of Rock Oceanside
If your kid loves music, what better camp experience then a rock band workshop at School of Rock Oceanside? Budding guitarists, drummers, keyboardists, and vocalists learn popular rock songs and perform them in front of friends and family at the camp end. Songs range from artists like Nirvana to AC/DC and every rock great in between. Rock Band is open to kids 8 and older.
School of Rock also offers a two-day Diva Vocal Workshop for vocalists ages 7 and above. Participants choose a song to learn and record over a karaoke track for their very own professional demo recording. Camp goers choose to perform songs from Taylor Swift, Adele, Bruno Mars, and many more.
Horse Camp - Liz Bolton Stables
This camp is full of horse adventure including horseback riding, games, and educational sessions – think learning horse anatomy, horse breeds, and grooming. The camp is open to kids ages 5-17 and does not require participants to have horseback riding experience.
Technology & Robotics Camp - TechKnowHow
Geared to kids ages 5-9, TechKnowHow’s winter camps focus on creative engineering activities. The Winter Wonder Builds session for younger children (to age 7) asks kids to get use LEGO gears, motors, and LEDs to build holiday vehicles and creatures, while the Technovators Workshop for kids 7-9 focuses on robotics, computer game programming, and more.
- Where: Varies by session and date. Locations include Rhoades School, 141 S. Rancho Santa Fe Rd., Encinitas, CA 92024; ICL Academy, 10720 Thornmint Rd., San Diego, CA 92127, and EBS Scripps Elementary, 11778 Cypress Canyon Rd., San Diego, CA 92131. Check the website.
- Dates: December 26-29; January 2-5
- Time: Full-day – 9AM-3:30PM; Half-day – 9AM-12PM or 12:30-3:30
- Cost: $270-$335/wk for full day; $150-$185/wk for half day
- Website: techknowhow.com/california/san-diego/winter-camp-encinitas.php
Winter Camp - Boys & Girls Club Oceanside
The Boys & Girls Club of Oceanside also offers a winter camp complete with field trips, crafts, snow, and treats, including free lunches and snacks.
Winter Camp - YMCA
The Y’s many North County locations host winter break camps for kids ages 5-13. Days are action packed with daily field trips, arts and crafts, sports, games, and other activities. Different locations feature unique themes like Adventure Camp, Art Camp, Gymnastics Camp, and more. Your best bet is to check the Y’s website and search for the location closest to you for available camp themes and times.
Winter Mini Camps - Scripps Ranch & Tennis Club
The club’s minicamps are offered for kindergarteners through eighth graders and feature days full of art, cooking, and group games. Off-site camps are also available at locations including Nickel City, the San Diego Ice Arena and more. Off-site camp times differ, so please check the club’s website for the latest details.
Discovery Winter Camp - San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum
The Children’s Discovery Museum is offering winter break camps for kids in kindergarten through third grade. Each day features distinct themes focused on science, art, and world culture, and campers also get a free museum admission before or after camp days.