8 Places in North County San Diego to Drink & Paint
Believe it or not, a bottle of wine paired with a paint brush is a growing trend all over the city for date night, girls night out, bridal showers, fundraisers and just because.
There is absolutely no prior experience (or talent) required though devotees of this festive activity vouch for its therapeutic benefits and skill improvement over time.
A few drinks might make you a better artist… it works on the dance floor, doesn’t it? Here’s how to enjoy adult beverages and art in North County San Diego.
1. CeramiCafe (Del Mar)
You can BYOB and snacks any evening at CeramiCafe, or you can reserve a special Cupcake Party and bring along your favorite bottle of wine or champagne to celebrate whatever you want; even a simple Tuesday night! Call to reserve a table. They’ll have plenty of ceramics to paint.
- Cost: $15 per person
- $55 Party Fee required to reserve the space
- Minimum of 6 people required for a private party
2. Xpressive Arts Center (Poway)
BYOB painting classes happen weekly at Xpressive Arts Center in Poway. Bring your favorite adult beverage, your friends and a photo that they’ll help you bring to life. The intimate and very social classes seat 5-6 people so advance reservations are necessary.
- BYOB Classes: Every Tuesday
- Time: 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Address: 12257-B Old Pomerado Road, Poway, CA 92064
- Phone: 858-679-ARTS (2787)
- Cost: $50 per person, including all art supplies
3. Paint and Palate (Various Locations)
Another art entertainment company, Paint and Palate hosts private parties as well as events at venues that serve wine and beer so there is no need to bring your own (in fact, it isn’t permitted by the venues, usually). Check their calendar for new events in North County San Diego and elsewhere, which are posted after the 20th of each month. They provide a 16″x20″ canvas for adult parties and slightly smaller ones for kids and seniors along with paint and brushes.
- Address: 230 Main Street, Vista, CA 92083
- Phone: 760-500-0383
- Time: 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Cost $35, including all supplies though excluding drinks
4. Paint N Vineyard (Scripps Ranch)
Jumpstart your creative self at a venue dedicated to channeling your inner Picasso through booze. Classes happen almost every night of the week and vary by theme. Their event calendar shows a photo of exactly what you’ll be painting that night. Of course, Paint N Vineyard is available for private parties. A small selection of wine and beer is for sale, but most patrons BYOB. No corkage is charged. All events are currently for ages 21 and older.
- Address: 10035 Carroll Canyon Road, Suite G, San Diego, CA 92126
- Phone: 858-504-7128
- Cost: $35, including all supplies
5. Color Me Mine (Rancho Bernardo)
Grab your BFF and head to Color Me Mine for Ladies Night Out. You pick the pottery and paint it. They fire it and then you take it home with you. Bring your adult beverages of choice.
- Dates: Every Tuesday
- Time: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Address: 4S Commons Town Center, 10550 Craftsman Way, Suite 183, San Diego, CA 92127
- Phone: 858-312-5500
- Cost: $3 per person for studio fee plus cost of pottery.
6. McArt Studio (Carlsbad)
This fine art studio teaches children and adults to paint realistically including still-life, the figure, landscape, portraiture, cartooning, animation, collage and more. Book a Creative Sips class to learn painting techniques in a more relaxed, BYOB environment. Check McArt Studio’s calendar as these class times and dates vary. Private Creative Sips classes are available and they’ll work with you to customize the piece everyone will paint on the day.
- Address: 3138 Roosevelt Street, Suites A-B, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Phone: (760) 889-6904
- Cost: $35 and up
7. Missus Potts (Oceanside)
BYOB and snacks to Missus Potts any evening of the week. If your group has four or more people, call and they’ll reserve a table or tables for you. Otherwise, just show up.
- Address: 4225 Oceanside Blvd, Suite D, Oceanside CA 92056
- Phone: 760-517-6319
- Cost: Adult studio fee of $8, plus cost of the item you paint.
8. A Colorful Universe (San Marcos)
They’ve got the glasses so you bring the wine! Canvas and Wine nights are new at A Colorful Universe. If you’d like to host a private adult party, group discounts are available and the host receives a $10 credit. They can even bring the party to you (call for details).
- Class dates: Every Friday night
- Times: 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Address: 1523 San Elijo Road, Suite 106, San Marcos, CA 92078
- Phone: 760-761-0476
- Cost: $45 per person
Note that if you’re painting ceramics that you’ll likely need to return to the venue a day or two later to pick up your glazed and fired work of art.
Have you been to any of these BYOB art venues? We would love to know what you thought and if your favorite is missing from this list.