Pauma Valley is home to California’s longest zipline, the La Jolla Zip Zoom, which is located on the La Jolla Indian Campground.
The foothills of the Palomar Mountain range have been a vacation destination since the La Jolla band of Luiseño Indians, who have lived in the area for thousands of years and are one of five California Luiseño tribes, opened a campground on their reservation there in the 1930’s.
Now, in addition to renting a tire tube for splashing down the San Luis Rey river, guests can fly down the scenic zipline reaching speeds of up to 55 mph.
About the La Jolla Zip Zoom
Plan to spend 2.5 hours on a guided tour that includes four ziplines measuring a total of 6273 feet. You won’t be zipping for this long as there is quite a bit of time usually spent gearing up, safety orientations, waiting your turn, walking up to the next platform, ongoing safety checks and more.
The four courses range from 300 feet to 2500 feet in length. The side-by-side lines allow you to experience thrills next to a companion. Technology is state-of-the-art and is safe to zipline even in the rain (though wind and other extreme weather conditions may require cancellation of tours).
A good ziplining tour isn’t just about thrills. Guests of the La Jolla Zip Zoom will learn from guides about the Pauma Valley, the La Jolla Indian Reservation, and other tidbits.
Want to see what it’s like? Check out this awesome video.
What to Wear Ziplining
- Closed-toed shoes that can’t fall off your feet. Flip flops are a no-no
- Comfortable shorts or pants
- Helmets are provided so there’s no need for a hat (though I have seen people wear baseball caps under the helmets when ziplining)
- Lots of sunscreen
- A GoPro or other camera that you can attach via a wrist or chest strap (for example) and not worry about dropping or banging it on something
It is also advisable to tie long hair back so that it’s not in your face at 55 mph. La Jolla Zip Zoom provides all equipment.
Good to Know
- Riders can be any age as long as they are between 65 – 275 lbs in weight and at least 48″ tall
- Bookings can be made online (check for group discounts)
- Cost is $99 per person or $75 if camping (parking is an additional $15)
La Jolla Zip Zoom
- Address: La Jolla Indian Campground 22000 CA-76 Pauma Valley, CA 92061
- Phone: (760) 742-3776
- Website: lajollazipzoom.com
Will you try it?